Oh, the all-over lip print trend. The fun, slightly quirkier, slightly edgier sister of the polka dot. It took me a while to warm up to this trend, but I’m digging it now. And it’s everywhere!
When would be a better time to wear this print than for Valentine’s Day? So in this post, I’m styling the lip print sweater I already have in my closet for this weekend’s holiday of love. But next week, I will style it in a winter-to-spring transitional outfit.
Notes on outfit 1:
1. A pointed toe flat goes so many places. I’m not sure what my husband has up his sleeve for Valentine’s Day…but whatever we do or wherever I would go in this sweater, I would feel good in a pointed toe flat. I have several rounded toe flats in my closet that I am trying to balance with pointed toe flats since the pointed toe adds so much polish and sophistication to an outfit. And I am loving these Sam & Libby flats from Target.
2. Red and pink together? WHAT? When I was younger, I would always try to be cool by not embracing holidays with my outfits (no green for St. Patrick’s Day, no pink/red for Valentine’s Day…you get the idea), but now I love to! I know I get way more into holidays now because I’m a mom. As for the color combination going on, I am not generally too terribly adventurous with risky color combinations, but I love the pairing of the magenta in the sweater and the bright red in this Stella and Dot clutch that also doubles as a crossbody, which is how I usually carry it.
3. Black on black on black… I love black, and in this case, the black is purposeful. The black in the sweater, jeans, and shoes work together to polish the look and to ground it so the print and the accessories can shine.
Notes on outfit 2…
1. Where you go, the jean jacket goes. Not sure how dressed up or dressed down to get? A jean jacket is really good at adding polish when needed or adding a casual vibe in other instances. It helps me break up all the black in this outfit. If you follow the blog via Facebook, you know I totally scored and got this GAP one for $17 during a great sale.
2. No necklace? No problem. Pile on the bracelets. I felt a necklace would really detract from the fun print in the sweater, so I piled on four of my favorite Stella and Dot bracelets and rolled up the sleeves on the jean jacket so they could be seen.
3. Seriously. Buy some metallic pumps. I bought these Nine West pumps, in full disclosure, so I could feel somewhat attractive during the first trimester of my second pregnancy. On a total whim. Didn’t think too hard. I’m so glad I did, though, because the gunmetal pairs so nicely with so many colors, including my beloved black. You can’t go wrong with a sweater/black skinny pant/metallic pump combination.
OUTFIT 1 DETAILS…
The Limited Kiss on the Lips Sweater (currently available in black in petite/tall sizes, available in camel in regular sizes – I am wearing the tall version) || American Eagle jegging || Sam & Libby Heidi Two Piece Flats || Stella and Dot Tia Crossbody Bag (doubles as a clutch) – no longer available, but I really like this clutch.
OUTFIT 2 DETAILS…
GAP 1969 Jean Jacket (limited sizing) || The Limited Kiss on the Lips Sweater (see above link) || Old Navy The Long Pixie Pants || Stella and Dot Hematite Studs || Stella and Dot Pyramid Studded Cuff Bracelet (in silver), Stella and Dot Arrison Stretch Bracelet (in silver), Stella and Dot Urbane Bracelet, (fourth S&D bracelet unavailable) || Nine West Flax Pump (not sure if these are exact, but there are a few metallic options here)